The Texas Longhorns were down by as many as 17 points at United Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Texas. The Longhorns were able to fight back and force overtime and Julien Lewis go-ahead jumper with 1.7 seconds to go to give the Texas Longhorns a 71-69 win.
- Myck Kabongo just can’t shoot in Lubbock. You can’t blame altitude in the Great Plains so really there is no excuse. Kabongo went 3-9 last year in Lubbock and 0-12 this year. That is a shooting percentage of 13% in Lubbock. Not good.
- Sheldon McClellan was the star tonight for the Texas Longhorns. 27 points off the bench and was 9-11 from the free throw line.
- Speaking of the free throw line, both teams need help shooting free throws. Texas shot 65% from the line while Texas Tech shot 54%. You could tell from both coaches that this was a frustrating night from the line.
- You see the potential with Cameron Ridley. His rebounding and effort is there. Shot selection and free throws leave much more to be desired. I expect Ridley’s development to be essential to success in 2013-2014.
- Barring some miracle in Kansas City, Texas will finish under .500 for the first time since 1997-1998. Are you seeing a trend with Texas athletics in the Big 3 sports? The 2010 Texas football finished below .500 for the first time since 1997, Texas baseball didn’t make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1997 in 2012. Now Texas basketball will finish under .500 and miss the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1997-1998. I can’t predict the future but it is my belief that the darker periods are behind Texas athletics.
The Texas Longhorns will play the TCU Horned Frogs at the Sprint Center Wednesday March, 13th at 8:30.