On Tuesday, Texas held their official pro day. Here are some observation that I witnessed.
- DJ Monroe according to reports either ran a 4.25 40 yard dash or between a high 4.3 to low 4.4 40. Either way, that’s fast. Someone in Jonesboro, Arkansas is kicking himself for not using this playmaker more.
- Vince Young threw 50 passes on Tuesday. He looked good on some passes while just sailing some others. Overall, he had an impressive day. He showed he can make the short, intermediate throws as well as hit receivers in stride. I am sure he will get a training camp invite after this performance.
- Mike Tomlin was in Austin today and spent a lot of time talking with Kenny Vaccaro. I doubt Mike Tomlin attends many pro days so my guess is if he gets the opportunity, he’ll pick Vaccaro.
- Brandon Moore had a 31 inch vertical as a defensive lineman, but ran a 5.1 40 . He’ll be undrafted which is tough for Longhorn fans to swallow considering he would have been a key piece to this defense in 2013.
- Jeremy Hills ran a 4.4 in the 40 yard dash. That was shocking to me.
- Marquise Goodwin didn’t do many drills at the pro day. He didn’t rerun the 40 yard dash but he did make an amazing one handed catch in throwing drills from Vince Young. Bennie Wylie, strength coach at the University of Texas, exclaimed “You’re getting paid today!” I can’t disagree with that.
The overall talent was lacking at pro day but that was to be expected. The star of the day was Kenny Vaccaro. He solidified himself as a first round pick. I doubt he falls past the Steelers but my guess is he will likely go to the Rams at pick 16 or to the Jets at pick number 9.
Marquise Goodwin solidified himself as at least a Day 2 pick. He might go late in the first round to a team like Atlanta or Green Bay if they are willing to take that potential risk. If you ask me, there isn’t much risk there.