The Texas Longhorns beat the New Mexico State Aggies 56-7 on Saturday night. Here is my thoughts on the season opening victory.
– Yes the Longhorns struggled early, but they responded after being down 7-0 and scored 56 unanswered points. That’s all you can ask for.
– David Ash’s 2 interceptions were not that bad. The safety made a hell of a play on that first interception and then the New Mexico Aggies deflected the ball into the air and they easily intercepted the ball. His good play outshadowed the perceived bad plays. He went 20 for 28 for 328 yards and 4 touchdowns. He also added 91 yards on the ground. Can we call him David Football?
– A school record 715 yards on offense in a single game. That happened.
– The defense did a great job. They only gave up 346 yards on defense. There were some missed tackles but I saw a lot of wrapping up the ball carrier and limiting the yards after catch and contact. They were able to shut them down in the second half with 2 turnovers and 3 three and outs. A tip of my hat to the defense.
– Finally the Longhorns have decided to use their playmakers. Daje Johnson had 139 all purpose yards. Jalen Overstreet had 9 rushes for 92 yards. This is the type of performance you need from your playmakers.
– I am disappointed in Jonathan Gray’s performance tonight. 6 carries for 28 yards and only 2 catches for 7 yards. Others step up to get the job done but if he wants to stay the starter, he needs to step his game up.
– Mike Davis seemed disinterested at first but then stepped his game up in the second half. The catch he made in the end zone was amazing. However, he needs to bring the effort every day.
– At the end of the Wyoming game last year, I had a lot of doubt about the 2012 Texas Longhorns. This time, I don’t feel any worries about this team. They look really good. Now they have to play BYU away from DKR. We’ll see if they are up to the challenge.