The Longhorns lost to the BYU Cougars tonight 40-21. Here is my Instant Breakdown.
– This was yet another embarrassing loss for the Texas Longhorns. Nothing went right. Offense, Defense, Special teams, nothing. Another unprepared team getting whooped all over the field.
– The defensive performance was pathetic. They had a quarterback who couldn’t throw and is recovering from an ACL tear looked like Adrian Peterson out there. It’s not that hard, someone check the quarterback. The fact that no one would pick up the quarterback showed me that the Texas Longhorns have no communication on defense and no leadership.
– Bryson Echols shouldn’t play in special teams anymore. He cost the Longhorns 30 yards and kept a drive that the Longhorns had stopped but made a stupid play that kept the BYU drive alive. BYU ended up getting a touchdown on that drive.
– 397 yards in the first half. Wow.
– 59 plays in the first half for BYU. Again WOW.
– The offensive line was just outmuscled and outplayed on Saturday. I mean they were just stiff all night, acted like they didn’t care.
– Duke Thomas had a big interception but two plays where he let the receiver by him to get big yards. As big as the pick was, those two big pass plays just killed the defense.
– David Ash hung in there and did the best he could. BYU just had their number all night. So if anyone wants to blame David Ash for this game, don’t. He did his best to keep the Longhorns in it. I’m not sure if he is the answer at Quarterback but he did his best. That’s all I can ask for.
– Daje Johnson’s injury had no effect on this game. None. Texas was beat before that.
– Case McCoy came in instead of Tyrone Swoopes. Yeah, that didn’t work out so well until it didn’t matter.
– BYU fans didn’t even rush the field. That use to be commonplace for Longhorn losses on the road, not anymore.
– Luckily for Texas, it’s only 1 loss. Texas doesn’t have to go 1-11 for the rest of the year. Texas got humbled. Now, how is Texas going to respond. Is Texas going to bounce back or let this loss eat at them? The Texas Longhorns can beat Ole Miss, Kansas State and Iowa State. So hopefully for the sake of sanity, the Longhorns will bounce back.