- A big win for Mack Brown. Could this win hurt the chances that Mack Brown steps down? No. This is a long (actually very short) season. 8 more games on the schedule but to finally beat Kansas State after 3 depressing defeats to the Wildcats feels good. Whatever happens at the end of the season, this is a good win for the Longhorns to have.
- The Longhorns played a full game with intensity and heart, something missing in the last 2 weeks.
- The Referees were terrible in this game. So many missed calls. It was beyond bad but it didn’t have a huge effect on the game which is a good thing.
- Big game for Marcus Johnson. With Mike Davis out, that was a much needed performance by a receiver who hasn’t played at all. Kendall Sanders did very well but when the Kansas State defense was focusing on Sanders, Marcus Johnson stepped up.
- Game Ball goes to: Johnathan Gray. 141 yards on the ground with 2 touchdowns. He was also a very vocal leader so it looks like he is stepping up as a leader on this team.
- 225 yards passing, 227 yards rushing. That’s balance folks.
- Case McCoy did a good job filling in, my thoughts on David Ash is below but I think that Case did what he had to do.
- Next is Iowa State on a Thursday night. That won’t be easy but if they survive, they would be 2-0 heading into the Red River Shootout. I won’t even predict a win but if they play like they did tonight, they have a chance in Dallas.
1st half thoughts
- The Longhorns in the first quarter looked like a team on a mission. They had some mistakes but they looked motivated finally.
- David Ash looked mad and determined in the first quarter. He took a big hit and got right back up. He also threw for a 63 yard touchdown. He looked good.
- Jaxon Shipley, welcome back. He was everywhere on the field for the Longhorns on offense.
- Malcom Brown. That man deserves a cookie. He was everywhere in the first half.
- A very good 1st half for the Longhorns. The last drive was a little concerning but I think the Longhorns have some momentum.
2nd half thoughts.
- David Ash is out for the game. You have to wonder about his future in football if this is his 2nd concussion in 3 weeks. Also, you have to wonder about the future of the season. Case McCoy isn’t a long term option. You have to play Swoopes.
- The first drive of the half for the Longhorns was dominated by Johnathan Gray. 7 rushes but 0 passes. Got 7 points so that’s a good thing.
- The fake punt was necessary. If they didn’t go for it, I think the momentum would have changed tremendously.
- 16 passing yards in the third quarter. That happened.
- The Texas Longhorns only had 10 players on defense for the touchdown scoring play in the 4th quarter. Not good.
- I like how Major Applewhite, seeing that Johnathan Gray was getting stuffed decided to switch out to Joe Bergeron and then Malcolm Brown who scored the touchdown to go up 31-14. That was huge.
- Steve Edmond was ejected for the second half and the first half of the Iowa State game. He was having a good game but he is out for Iowa State for at least the first half.
- The Longhorns got sloppy on the touchdown drive that cut the lead to 31-21. 3 penalties is not acceptable but that was a good catch by Tyler Lockett.
- Tyler Lockett is a beast. Hopefully, he declares at the end of the year. However, you can’t keep getting beat deep. That needs to be fixed.
- Even after the big punt return with missed penalty calls, the Texas defense didn’t give up and forced a sack and a fumble. That’s what Texas needed to do.