An interesting saga to follow for the 2020 Texas football recruiting class is the way that Dwight McGlothern could be trending toward Ohio State.
One of the most important commitment decisions for the 2020 cycle for Texas football recruiting is just around the corner. The 2020 Texas football recruiting class is still early in its process of piecing the puzzle together. However, one prospect that seems to be looking away from this 2020 Texas football recruiting class at this point is the elite five-star cornerback Dwight McGlothern.
Hailing from Cedar Hill, TX, and Trinity Christian School, McGlothern should be one of the more favorable targets for this Texas football recruiting class to land. The issue for the Texas Longhorns football program here is that McGlothern is looking completely away from them right now as his decision date seemingly keeps getting pushed back.
It is also a pretty difficult process to follow where McGlothern is at in his recruitment. He was originally set to announce his commitment decision on Jan. 5, according to his Twitter timeline. But, the decision that was supposed to come in the third quarter of the Under Armour All-American Bowl never came and left some of the bigger fan bases in the nation wondering when his commitment will actually be announced.
In a recent discussion with a site and podcast that follows the Ohio State Buckeyes, The Ozone, the impression was given that McGlothern might not make a decision any time soon. He plans to take five more visits to some of his finalists for his commitment decision before he officially announces.
Ohio State looks like a program that could make a late run at McGlothern. A recent string of tweets displayed a ton of interest from McGlothern in getting some attention from the Buckeyes. Apparently that tweet from McGlothern caught the attention of Ohio State assistant, and former wide receiver, Brian Hartline.
According to reports from 247Sports, McGlothern trying to grab the attention of the Ohio State coaching staff came about after the departure of Alex Grinch to become the next defensive coordinator for the Oklahoma Sooners. Whatever happened before Grinch departed that caused the Buckeyes to pass on the pursuit of McGlothern seems to have changed within the past week.
This could be a while before the 2020 Texas football recruiting class figures out if it will land the nation’s fourth best 2020 high school cornerback. However, the early indications don’t show much of a shot for the Horns to land the commitment from McGlothern. According to the 247Sports Crystal Ball Predictions, McGlothern has an 89 percent chance to wind up with the Horns in-state hated rival Texas A&M Aggies and 11 percent chance to go with the LSU Tigers.
Unless the Horns are able to make a late run to push for some added interest from McGlothern, it might lose out on one of the nation’s top cornerbacks for the 2020 cycle. Some early momentum the Horns had in the pursuit of McGlothern’s commitment is starting to fall by the wayside as he’s gaining some traction with Ohio State and looks to have some interest in LSU and Texas A&M too.
This could be another elite in-state talent that slips from the clutches of the Horns and winds up with Ohio State. Five-star 2019 wide receiver Garrett Wilson is a hometown kid that had some drama with the Horns and ended up committing and signing with Ohio State. This saga doesn’t look to have as much drama directly involving the Horns, but the end result is the same if McGlothern ends up in Columbus.