Just before kickoff between No. 11 Texas football and the Rice Owls at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on Sep. 2 at 2:30 p.m. CT, head coach Steve Sarkisian released his team’s depth chart. Like last season, Sarkisian waited until the last minute to release Texas’ depth chart.
While there weren’t many eye-opening surprises on the Longhorns’ first depth chart of the season, there is still some notable movement for the young players on the two-deep. Here are some of the notable nuggets from the first depth chart of the season for Sark and the Longhorns.
Steve Sarkisian and Texas football releases Week 1 depth chart for the Rice game
- True freshman CJ Baxter Jr. is listed as the co-starter at running back alongside redshirt sophomore Jonathon Brooks.
- True freshman Arch Manning is listed as the co-backup at quarterback with redshirt freshman Maalik Murphy.
- True freshman Johntay Cook II is the sole backup at field receiver behind junior Xavier Worthy.
- Sophomores Cole Hutson and DJ Campbell are listed as co-starters at right guard. Campbell took the first-team reps at right guard in practice this week.
- Redshirt freshman Neto Umeozulu isn’t listed at guard on this depth chart.
- Senior Alfred Collins is the sole starter at defensive tackle opposite redshirt senior T’Vondre Sweat.
- Senior Jett Bush is the starter at sam linebacker, with junior Morice Blackwell Jr. likely out due to injury.
- Redshirt senior David Gbenda and true freshman Anthony Hill Jr. are co-starters at will linebacker.
- Redshirt junior Gavin Holmes and sophomore Terrance Brooks are co-starters at field corner.
- Worthy and redshirt senior wideouts Jordan Whittington are the top two kick returners.
- Redshirt senior running back Keilan Robinson is the first-team punt returner.
Sark has more freshmen listed among the starters/co-starters than was initially anticipated. This shows Sark and the Longhorns staff’s faith in all the young talents on both sides of the ball this fall.
Texas is a 35-point favorite ahead of kickoff against Rice at DKR on Sep. 2, which starts at 2:30 p.m. CT.