The dominant conference has spoken. The SEC officially set a scholarship limit of 85 athletes for college football programs ahead of the 2025 season. This number is 20 less than the House settlement maximum of 105 athletes per roster –– leaving room for at least 20 walk-on players.
When the SEC announced the scholarship limit on Thursday afternoon, people immediately started questioning the decision. It has been months since the House settlement and programs have already begun recruiting prospects based on the possibility of a 105-player roster.
However, guaranteeing the continuance of walk-on positions is vital to the culture of college football and the makeup of a collegiate team.
The SEC has set a football scholarship limit of 85 for 2025, the league told @YahooSports in a response to a request. That is 20 fewer than the max (105) under the House settlement’s roster structure.
— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) November 7, 2024
Schools may still have rosters up to 105 (85 scholarships + 20 walk-ons). pic.twitter.com/1u5pkxqhBg
Maintaining the scholarship count at 85 continues the previous number of scholarship players on a football roster within the conference. However, with the entire roster maximum set at 105, due to the House settlement, there will be room for at least 20 walk-ons if every scholarship spot is filled.
One SEC football coach in particular has spoken quite loudly about the inconsistencies within the league: Mark Stoops, the Kentucky Wildcats head coach.
Mark Stoops says they just received some info from the SEC on what scholarship numbers should look like moving forward. It changed from just two weeks ago, he noted, without being specific. Now they are trying to figure out what "budgets" will look like for "free agency."
— Jeff Drummond (@JDrumUK) November 6, 2024
As the SEC and college football as a whole continue to adapt and adjust, football coaches are having a slightly difficult time keeping pace with all of the changes – especially with just how large their roster sizes are.
Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has yet to comment on the most recent announcement from the Southeastern Conference. However, he had previously said he didn't feel the need to recruit the full 105 roster spots after the House ruling.
NEW: Thanks to House v. NCAA, roster caps (105) are coming to replace scholarship limits (85) in college football.
— Josh Newman (@Joshua_Newman) October 29, 2024
Steve Sarkisian, though, is not compelled to recruit to 105 until things are in stone. https://t.co/yUgoHJsmS3
Division I recruiting windows
- August 1-31, 2024 – Except for the 48 hours before a home game during August and September 1-2 through the 48 hours after the game. This is a "quiet period."
- December 2-8, 2024
- December 23, 2024 – Jan. 5, 2025
- Jan. 1-5, 2025 – Quiet period for two- and four-year college transfer prospective student-athletes who intend to enroll midyear.
- January 13-15, 2025
- February 3 – Mar. 2, 2025
- May 25 – 28, 2025
- Jun. 23 – Jul. 31, 2025
As the rules and rosters continue to alter, coaches will have to pay even closer attention to their recruiting windows, the transfer portals, and more as the current season flies toward its conclusion and the upcoming season rapidly approaches.